Storing Images in Mysql DatabaseTutorial Outline:
- Creating a Test Mysql Database
- Example php Database Function
- Explanation of Database Function
- Php Script to Load Images in Mysql Database
- Explanation of Image Script
- How to Get Images Out of MySql Database
- PHP Manual "base64_decode()"
- PHP Manual "chunk_split()"
- PHP Manual "convert_uuencode()"
- PHP Manual "RFC 2045 section 6.8"
This tutorial covers a simple way to store images in a mysql database. The example scripts that I provide here are intended to show you how to get a single image into your database. It will be up to you to write other scripts using php loops -- and functions like:
Creating a Test Mysql Database
This tutorial includes a fictitious database and table. Lets call the database test_imgs with a single table called pictures.
- "id" is primary, key, not null, and auto_increment
- "pics" blob not null
- "ext" is varchar(4) not null
- "gender" is varchar(7) not null
- Mysql defaults for everything else.
- Create a directory "test" for the scritps
- Practice script "test.php"
Example Php Database Function
First let's write a function to connect to the Mysql database
Explanation of Database Function
I named my function "database connect" for obvious reasons, then passed the following arguments:
- $db_host -- Database Host
- $db_user -- Database User Name
- $db_pw -- Database Password
- $db_name -- Database Name
- &$db_selected -- Passed by reference
- &$connection -- Passed by reference
Arguments 1 through 4 need no explanation. Five and six were passed by reference which allows me to retrieve the variable values outside the function. Comment out the "die()" functions when you are not troubleshooting your code.
Php Script to Load Images in Mysql Database
Now lets get down to the task of storing images in a mysql database.
Explanation of Image Script
Notice that I used "fopen(), fread(), and fclose()" to get the contents of "testpic.php" and store it in a variable -- $img.
Next, I take $img and run it through "base64_encode().Read about base64 here.
Finally, after a little SQL magic, I place the encoded data from my test picture into the database. Viola! Now I have a jpeg image stored in mysql. Make note that I made a point to record the file extension along with the picture itself. I will be using that information when I am ready to get images out of my sql database.
passing data from one form to another form php Passing data from one form to another form
To pass php data from a form and then catch that data into another form one way to accomplish this task is to intermi
what is php Explanation of PHP Basic Syntax --New to PHP
Php is a language that is very much like writing c. The best feature of PHP versus c is that it is designed pri
notepad plus Notepad++
Download Notepad Plus Plus
Notepad plus plus is an open source, free text editor. It is
how to install php 5 php This is a quick start beginner's how-to manual explaining how to quickly setup a PHP 5 installation on a Windows XP PC. You must have an Apache webserver installed and working on your personal comp
php passing variables php Pass Variables from One Page to Another -- PHP
Author: D.Shaun Morgan
Tutorial Outline :
Passing PHP variables with $_